Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Mama's Truth Serum

Mama has no filter. She never has. We, her word savvy daughters like to say, “What comes up comes out.” So if you are someone who is sensitive, stay away because my mother will look you dead in the eye and broadcast your biggest insecurity, body flaw, or personality dysfunction to anyone in hearing range… as if you didn’t already know. And then she will laugh that infectious loud cackle -- which is now mostly toothless these days -- and will make you laugh at yourself too.


She told my niece that her oldest son “sho’ is handsome!” Then she added that the baby boy, well,... “He looks like his daddy.”  


She told her granddaughters that they were really beginning to spread. Of course quip runs in the family because Mickey responded that she got it from her and that she was in good company. She then whipped out her phone to show her Grandma pictures of all the other “spreading” cousins.

One year, I took my mother on vacation to London and Stonehenge. We rode for two hours, walked ¼ mile over to the monolithic stones, and posed and took pictures by the giant ancient marvel. She reflected as we headed back to the tour bus, “Sure was a big ole’ pile of rocks!”

She even once exclaimed to my poor sensitive tweenager who had had a huge weight gain resulting in man boobs, “You got breasts!”

No one is left unscathed from family and friends to the workers in the nursing home. She will talk about your weight, your mole, your deadbeat boyfriend, your cheating husband, your loud kids, your thick glasses, your mean disposition, … you name it, she’s said it. It’s as though she has taken truth serum and must say the first negative truth that pops into her mind.

She will just smile, grab your hand and pat you while saying, “Baby, you know I didn’t mean no harm.” And they actually laugh or just smile and respond back, “It’s fine.”

What else could they say? She is after all just telling the truth.
https://twowritingteachers.org/

3 comments:

  1. I love the title. Sounds like your mama is indeed honest and I'm guessing that the family has learned to "roll" with words better than most because of it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really captured a lot of specific examples, so I am sure you will look back on this and smile even more than you already did. What a fun slice. I appreciate getting to know her a little through you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by! My mother is and has always been quite a character. She drives quite a bit of my writing.

      Delete

Trim and a Haircut: Beauty Parlor Blues

It was beauty parlor day at the nursing home for my mom. That means it has been nearly three months since I have made the time to pamper an...